Author Topic: MC CBs ($199 for set) or ($199 plus $65 Headset forone model)  (Read 1972 times)

Paul2M

• LOVE Backroads of East TN
    • View Profile
MC CBs ($199 for set) or ($199 plus $65 Headset forone model)
« on: September 22, 2013, 05:43:26 pm »
I wrote this up to answer a question on ETB Web Site and thought I might as well send it to all.

There are more expensive CBs and they do more (play music, etc.) - guess in $500 plus range.  This is a basic using Cobra CB (with weather). Like a hand held, but with plugs for harness (Headset and Push To Talk connection). 

Works pretty good - I just use the short antenna that attaches to the top. Sometimes folks say it is clear as a bell, other times they say not hearing me at all or garbled, etc. Not sure what is going on  now, but it maybe connection problems. Anyway, that is another story.

Sierra Electronics.

http://www.sierra-mc.com/

Link to several different ones.

http://www.sierra-mc.com/cbradios.html

Then this link shows the Cobra Kit I used --

http://www.sierra-mc.com/products.asp?cat=18

CB, IMC Headset and Harness,power cord, bracket, $199

There is another $199 that includes, Power cord, Bracket, and Five pin connector for a Headset (but not the headset and the headset for that is like $65)

I started with the basic set as did a Jim Eller. 

He is still using the IMC headset, I think.  (had a few problems along the way, but resolved satisfied).

I had a problem I thought was Push To Talk and messed with that, then decided it was the headset or harness. It is a long story, but somehow I got the wrong thing shipped to me - so decided to just go ahead and order what was needed for the J&M headset. That headset alone is $65. I cannot remember exactly what happened - it has been some time ago.

That said -- The J&M might be better quality over all. But, the speakers are big in comparison and hard to put in a helmet (I cut away a lot of foam to get them in), and the MIC is also large. Talking Full Face Helmet here.

SO - look at their Internet, but if you are going to buy - CALL THEM  and talk to them and make sure you are getting what you need for your bike and helmet type. (good people as far as I am concerned).

I think Jim had a open face helmet to start with so got the MIC for that (boom type MIC). Then when he went to a full face helmet (I am pretty sure he still uses the boom mike and bends it up under the helmet to his mouth).

I am thinking I would do that now as the MIC in the helmet is too big and at best it is too close to your face (hit your face in an accident).

I just use the short antenna that comes with the set and screws on to the CB (about 10 inch long antenna). Some mount a separate antenna (I do not know if that is better or not). When all is working right I seem OK for normal distance between riders -- but maybe a separate antenna is needed (I would not buy one right away, see if you are OK with the short one).

I have been having trouble lately (at times) communicating - not sure if it is the CB (it is old bought back around 2003) or cable connections or what. The other day, I removed the short extension cable (about a 6 inch cable) between the harness and headset. Things seemed to work better.

I will Get it figured out someday (I hope). A friend was having intermittent problems and said he used contact cleaner to clean his cable connections (now OK he says). Wes, IO ride with) is into Ham Radio and says those small connectors cause problems(he thinks that is my problem -might be as things worked better with the one cable removed).   

(By the way --- Those short extensions make it a lot easier to take the helmet off as you can seethe extension to disconnect) (Otherwise, the connection to the plug on the side of the helmet is hard to see to connect if you have helmet on and want to connect or disconnect without taking the helmet off). Say like you stop for gas or something and want to walk away from the bike, but leave helmet on (you can disconnect the extension cable)

Paul2M

• LOVE Backroads of East TN
    • View Profile
Re: MC CBs ($199 for set) or ($199 plus $65 Headset forone model)
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2013, 07:05:01 am »
Jim Eller responded to a letter I sent --- his comments (BOLD TYPE) about the basic COBRA Kit -- $199 for complete setup with headset, etc.

CB, IMC Headset and Harness,power cord, bracket, $199

There is another $199 that includes, Power cord, Bracket, and Five pin connector for a Headset (but not the headset and the headset for that is like $65)

I started with the basic set as did a Jim Eller.   Still have it and it works. Jim E

I think Jim had a open face helmet to start with so got the MIC for that (boom type MIC). Then when he went to a full face helmet (I am pretty sure he still uses the boom mike and bends it up under the helmet to his mouth).

This is true. My helmet now is a Nolan full face flip up. Jim E

I am thinking I would do that now as the MIC in the helmet is too big and at best it is too close to your face (hit your face in an accident).

I just use the short antenna that comes with the set and screws on to the CB (about 10 inch long antenna). Some mount a separate antenna (I do not know if that is better or not). When all is working right I seem OK for normal distance between riders -- but maybe a separate antenna is needed (I would not buy one right away, see if you are OK with the short one).

I went to the matched separate antenna for the radio(about 48
« Last Edit: September 23, 2013, 07:08:13 am by Paul2M »